Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Trinity vs. Oneness



Growing up I heard a lot of the evil trinitarians and how they believe in three Gods. This was only confirmed when I went to Collage down in Dallas, Tx. The class was on the Holy Spirit and yes he, that is, the teacher did border heresy in his theology of the Godhead. So my early childhood convictions stayed in-tacked and unharmed. Later on when I was in YWAM doing a DTS one of my leaders was a oneness (All-thou non pentecostal) none Trinitarian believer. This again seemed to only strengthened my beliefs in the oneness of God. Life seemed to go one just fine. As time went on I was married and together we decided to attend a Inductive Bible Study school out in Mt. The school teaches Inductive Method and then takes you through the whole bible. Imagine studying 66 books of the bible, in depth, six days a week and spending on average 10 hours a day... wow. But one of the problems i faced was one of Beliefs. what I mean is, the bible confronted some of the false beliefs I learned growing up. Some of these beliefs went without a fight, while others seemed to linger long after the school was over... Some of the beliefs like, how is one saved, perseverance of the saints, what it really means to be justified... I latched onto, and threw out the idea that a true believer could lose there salvation or Jesus plus something equaled salvation. One of the beliefs that I held onto the longest was Oneness theology. Over time and with much prayer and studying I have slowly come to believe in the Trinity, not the three separate Gods I heard about growing up, but the three persons within the one Godhead. So once again this is why these articles are being posted, to look into scripture and see what they tell us about this God who created us, came down in the form of flesh to redeem us and by His ever present Spirit reveals Himself to us.

Here are a couple more verses to ponder in our pursuit of the Godhead.

This one is known as the Shema of Israel:
Deut. 6:4
"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the Lord Is One."

This one is and interesting couple of verses out of the book of Daniel.
Daniel 7:9-13
As I looked, thrones where placed,
and the Ancient of days took his seat;
his clothing was white as snow,
and the hair of this head like pure wool;
his throne was fiery flames;
its wheels were burning fire....
...and behold, with the clouds of heaven
there came one like a son of man.
and he came to the Ancient of days
and was presented before him.
And to him was given dominion
and glory and a kingdom,
that all peoples, nations, and languages
should serve him;
his dominion is an everlasting dominion,
which shall not pass away,and his kingdom one
that shall not be destroyed...



No comments: